Thursday, October 16, 2008

Thirty six degrees

Yes folks, it's that time again. Hats, mittens, and hot cocoa. For six. months.

I'm thrilled, can you tell? I wish winter lasted more like 3 months, and consistently had that pretty powder snow but only accumulated 3 inches on the ground at a time. And fall needs to last at least two months, none of this week of color business.

My dad finished moving out of his law firm, hooray! He was so stressed, it was affecting my mom and me too. What do you do when the person you expect to be the calmest is upset? It changes your view on the world. You have to remind yourself that no matter how calm or strong a person may seem, they have the same feelings you do, they just hide them better. I have to remind myself of that with the guys here especially, they often seem kind of callous and one-minded. Really, I think a lot of them are more sensitive than they let on.

I'm still getting used to the honesty, or lack thereof, of people here. Seems like some people are straight up, what you see is what you get types. Then there are the sorts who will tell you one thing and not really mean it. And Reid, well, if it explains anything, he's got Truth in most of his screen names. I'm not sure why, but he's more careful about telling the truth than most people. Which is nice, I don't worry about him being dishonest with me. So I'm trying to work really hard on saying what I mean and not lying on accident. You know, when you say something like "I'll never do this" you can't possibly know. So if somebody suggests hanging out, I expect them to mean it...and they don't.

I hadn't expected adjusting to take this long.

2 comments:

simone said...

I've heard some people say that they loathed the entire first semester. I don't hate it here, but I guess when I thought I'd adjusted after like two weeks...not so much yet. :)

Regarding people being straight up or not, yesterday it was Emma's (the loud girl who's pissed) birthday and we wrote happy birthday! :) on our board; she wrote "thanks girls! :)" back.

today our board says "have a nice day ladies! :)"

rofl.

simone said...

PS I LOVE THE COLD.