Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Job Interview

I wrote my first resume today, sent in my first resume, and got my first call for a job interview today.

This is the job description: Carry out all aspects of the daily care of assigned animals including cleaning, feeding, observing and evaluating animal conditions and behaviors. Participate in daily educational programs and communicate with and assist guests. Providing environmental and behavioral enrichment opportunities. Perform repairs and preventative maintenance as necessary; maintain clean and organized exhibits, equipment, keeper areas and grounds. Will learn capture and restraint, raptor and mammal rehabilitation, assist with veterinary care, and special events planning.

This is at Jim Peck's Wildwood Wildlife Park. There are pictures of me there on facebook. That's right, the place with the huggable deer.

This is, however, over 4 hours from Milwaukee. I would need a car and an apartment. It only pays $6.50 an hour, I would be living alone and be 4 hours from my friends.

But the job sounds like what I want to do in life. That would be a quick shot into growing up. Living on my own, driving to work 40 hours a week....I don't know. I'll have to eventually.

Should I not go to the interview? Should I go to the interview and postpone worrying about the details until I for sure get the job?

I know I will be applying other, hopefully closer places before accepting working anywhere. So either way it's not certain.

Just the thought of getting a job similar to what I'll be doing in life scares me a little.

2 comments:

simone said...

I know we talked lots last night, but just in response to this particular post.

We're 18, so we don't have to worry too much about "what we'll be doing for the rest of our lives." Sure, we all have ideas. And in my opinion it's a great idea to try that out now when you have the opportunity, and then you can see if it is what you want to do. But, don't Worry About It. (That's rich coming from me, I know. I should know, though!!) Claire just had an interview with a Psych professor and he said the biggest piece of advice he could give her was not to worry about her career right now. We'll figure it out.

It would be a "quick shot" to growing up, that's for sure. But we're growing up regardless. This is all part of it. :) Look at these big adult decisions you're making!!

My opinion, love: Go to the interview. You'll always wonder what would've happened if you passed up this opportunity. Don't, however, make it your only interview. Keep looking for things that are closer to home or pay better. (I know it's an internship, and your college costs less than mine, but $6.50/hr is far below minimum wage right now. Remember: REI = $9.30/hr for me.) So, keep looking; go to that interview and do your best; and worry about it later. They don't need a decision right away.

Then you can give me all this great advice right back at me when I apply for that full-ride-year-at-a-Chinese-University Scholarship. o_O;

It'll work out however it's meant to, hon. You'll know which choice you want to make -- make it without regrets. We're dispersing...but you won't lose your closest friends. We're right here. <3

Anonymous said...

I am a selfish selfish person and therefor am in no position to give you advice on this. Do what you think is best.