Thursday, December 25, 2008

Merry Christmas!

In honor of Christmas, I thought I'd do a blog about religion.

Christianity, specifically, is very strange. Mary was either the a. most insane b. most clever c. most honest person on earth. Either she was on some kind of drug and thought a rapist was an angel and really wasn't a virgin, got pregnant as a teenager out of wedlock and decided to say an angel did it, or she was telling the truth.

The latter, let me tell you, would suck. If God came up to me and said "Hey, you're pretty, you're going to have my kid. Since I'm God, you have no choice in the matter." I would be pissed. First of all, you didn't even get to have sex. Second, you're a virgin. There is not room for a baby there. that would be PAINFUL.

So it's either the most brilliant and successful scheme/lie ever, or true.

I have difficulty believing it. Especially since I know the arc story is false. God did not create animals to procreate within their own families, it messes up the genes. So the whole two by two concept is a lie. Then the logic leads to "what else is untrue/unrealistic?"

But then why did Jesus stick with it? We know he was a real person. We know he got a ton of people mad enough to kill him. This guy was willing to die instead of give it up, if it was a lie. And if his parents invented the lie, why would he continue to live it? Why not say "Just kidding guys" the instant somebody walked up with 6 inch nails and a giant mallet? Could someone be THAT fame thirsty?

I'd kill for DNA testing back then...

I don't know what to believe. I don't think a world that runs this smoothly just magically appeared. But I also don't think I can believe a lot of the side stories.

4 comments:

simone said...

haha as I was reading this I thought it was posted by Kat. I got to the bottom and saw "posted by Katie" and it made my day. :)

Religion is awfully interesting.

merry christmas dollface!! <3

Nathan said...

hey. remember those nice talks we used to have? :)

very interesting thoughts, although they are directly from your point of view. mary probably would have been scared, but honored, to be chosen by God. after following God faithfully all of those years, mary gets some "direct" connection with God; she's got the inside scoop on God's plan for salvation.

i don't understand your understanding of noah's story. i don't even know if i believe noah's story literally. im increasingly beginning to embrace a creationist view of theistic evolution.

jesus was either insane, a liar, or what he said he was. i believe he was what he said he was (john 14:6).

merry christmas, by the way. nothing like jesus' birth to evoke theological/religious discussion.

Anonymous said...

Btw, having a baby as a virgin would not be that much more painful than usual. Having sex does not increase the size of your uterus, so there would be an equal amount of room. The only added problems would be that your vaginal canal would not have been strecthed previously, so it might hurt a little more and the baby's head woudl have to break your hymen, unless that had been previously broken in a nonsexual way...

always here to share fun facts...

Anthony said...

Hey. I know I'm not exactly a bible thumper, but I'd at least be willing to defend the arc story from a genetic point of view. A bottleneck event like that wouldn't show much of an effect until the third generation, and if every partnership was producing a ton of children, there probably would be few if any deleterious effects.